Institutional Research & Assessment
I. Mission Statement
The Department of Institutional Research and Assessment (DIRA) at the Lebanese American University collects, analyzes, warehouses, and disseminates data about the continuum of functions of the institution – educational, administrative and support. It ensures the integrity and consistency of information for official reporting. DIRA provides support for the institution’s decision-makers in planning, policy formulation as well as assessment, evaluation and institutional effectiveness initiatives.
Goal 1: Support evidence-based decision making and integrated planning
- Conduct and coordinate research and benchmark studies and analyses that contribute to student learning and goal achievement, as well as enhance understanding of the programs and community needs.
- Work collaboratively with other units across campus to ensure accurate data is maintained and to assist in campus-wide data integration.
- Provide information and predictive analytics needed for planning, e.g., enrollment projections used to establish admission targets.
Goal 2: Oversee institutional reporting
- Collect, maintain, analyze and disseminate accurate and timely information to internal and external constituencies as requested.
- Prepare descriptive and analytical reports and data summaries and make them easily accessible by all constituents (i.e. Fact Book, Facts brochure …).
- Coordinate external reporting of institutional statistics to national and governmental organizations, accrediting bodies and ranking agencies.
- Manage the Business Intelligence solution from ensuring consistency and reliability of data to providing users with visual dashboards and advanced analytics features.
Goal 3: Strengthen assessment culture throughout university
- Support the assessment of academic programs, co-curricular activities and administrative units.
- Administer, analyze and share the results of institutional surveys and assessments, including assisting other offices and programs with survey design, analysis, and application.
- Provide valid, reliable data and information to support assessment, planning, and accreditation activities.
- Offer training and support for assessment initiatives.
- Manage instructor and course evaluations and disseminate analytic reports to respective schools.
Goal 4: Oversee institutional reporting
- Provide a professional comprehensive standardized testing environment for the university and surrounding communities.
- Facilitate the testing needs of on-campus and international distance-learning students.
- Provide scanning services, scoring and statistical analysis of exams.
- Provide the administration of different proficiency tests to support the university in measuring the impact of its education.